Downtown Iron Mountain, 1950-60
Twelve area businesses and organizations have purchased historical plaques which include a picture and information about their site. This is the 10th in a series of articles about the posters.
IRON MOUNTAIN – A postcard photo was taken about 1950-1960 of downtown Iron Mountain.
On the east side of the block were: 403-405, the S.S. Kresge Company; 407, the Jacob Building (including Kresge’s expansion of 1948) and the Avenue Bar (operated by Samuel J. Khoury and Nicholas J. Khoury by 1959); Ace Drugs Inc. (Don J. Nemeth and Marie H. Nemeth); 425-427, J.C. Penny Company department store; 421, Isabel’s (Mose Pasten and Isabel K. Pasten), women’s clothing; and 425-427, Montgomery Ward & Company, department store.
On the west side of the block were: 400, Wright’s Men’s Wear (William J. Wright and Laura L. Wright); 408, Kushner’s (David Kushner and Eleanor Kushner), children’s clothing, and the Shoe Bazaar (Hy Donofsky, manager); and 414, Colenso’s Department Store (John R. Colenso and Margaret “Peg” Colenso).
The Commercial Bank occupied the west side of the 500 block.
Purchased through the Main Street Design Committee by B.K. Enterprises, this poster is on exhibit at their office at 410 South Stephenson Avenue.