New theater announced in 1924
Twelve area businesses and organizations have purchased historical plaques which include a picture and information about their site. This is the sixth in a series of articles about the posters.
IRON MOUNTAIN – On Feb. 18, 1924, Martin D. Thomas, manager of the Colonial Theatre Company, announced a new theater would be built here, added to the Colonial and the Bijou.
The name Braumart was a combination of the names of the owner, August E. Brauns, and the manager, Martin D. Thomas.
Final plans were for a building with a total area of 96 by 120 feet, included the foyer, 25 by 30 feet; the auditorium, 73 by 90 feet; a shop 25 by 40 feet on each side, and another store 26 by 120 feet.
The estimated cost, including equipment, was $200,000. The architects were Herbst & Kuenzli, of Milwaukee. The Foster Construction Company, also from Milwaukee, began construction in September 3, 1924. The grand opening was held Tuesday, April 21, 1925.
Clowns promoted The Big Circus, playing at the Braumart Theatre in 1959.
Notice the orderly line of patrons, largely children, and the sign at the left indicating Jacobs Restaurant (Bob Jacobs), at 102 East B Street. By 1913 John Anegon operated a confectionery shop here.
By 1921, Christ Anegon and Arthur Mitchell ran the Iron Mountain Candy Kitchen, known as the St. Paul Candy Kitchen by 1924. Joseph Cordy purchased the building in late May, 1925, for $22,000.
Purchased through the Main Street Design Committee by The Miller Agency Inc., this poster is on exhibit at their office at 108 East B Street.