Early businesses on Stephenson remembered
EDITOR’S NOTE: Twelve area businesses and organizations have purchased historical plaques which include a picture and information about their site. This is the second in a series of articles about the posters.
IRON MOUNTAIN – Taken in the last half of the 1880s, this photograph, looking south, shows buildings on the east side of the 300 block of South Stephenson Avenue.
The sign on the first building on the left, located at the southeast corner of the intersection with East Ludington Street, reads City Hotel. A small sign between this building and the next advertises a dressmaker. The second store, at 305 South Stephenson Avenue, was a general store run by Charles Schuldes and Emil Carriere between 1885 and 1889. Their advertising banner stretches across the street. The tall pine at the right stands near where the intersection with East A Street would be today, and beyond is forest and swamp.
By 1892 Hancock & Sundstrom (Robert J. Hancock and William G. Sundstrom) ran a hardware store at 303, and Victor E. Lundin, working as a merchant tailor upstairs, advertised “Splendid fits and first-class work. Repairing and pressing done neatly.”
N.C. Schuldes ran a clothing store managed by Carl Schuldes at 305, advertising “Fine millinery. The latest fashions. The latest styles and finest shoes in the city.”
Joseph Bitterly dealt in “Watches, Clocks, Jewelry, Silverware, Musical instruments and Optical goods” at the same location.
Purchased through the Main Street Design Committee by Fleury, Singler & Company, this poster is on exhibit at their office at 301 South Stephenson Avenue.