Commissioner races on Iron County ballot
CRYSTAL FALLS – Iron County voters will face decisions regarding County Board of Commissioners candidates and millage renewals in the Tuesday, Aug. 5, primary election.
Only one incumbent commissioner faces opposition. Voters will have the opportunity to select write-in candidates for two county board positions.
Polls will open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.
A breakdown of county board candidates by district follows:
-District 1, Iron River Township, Stambaugh Township, Gaastra. Incumbent Patti Peretto of Iron River is challenged for the Democratic nomination by Mark Polley of Iron River in the primary.
-District 2, Bates Township, northern half of Iron River-Precincts 1 and 2. Incumbent board chair James Brennan of Iron River, a Democrat, is running unopposed.
-District 3, southern half of Iron River-Precincts 3 and 4, Caspian. Incumbent District 3 Commissioner Ray Coates, who has no party affiliation, will seek re-election on the November ballot. There are no primary candidates on Tuesday’s ballot, although names may be placed on the November ballot through write-in votes.
-District 4, Crystal Falls, Mastodon Township. Raymond Kudwa of Crystal Falls and Sharon Leonoff of Crystal Falls will vie for the Democratic nomination. The winner will face Republican Ernest Ness of Crystal Falls in the November election.
-District 5, Hematite Township, Crystal Falls Township, Mansfield Township. Incumbent District 5 Commissioner Tim Aho will seek re-election on the November ballot. He faces opposition from Bob Black of Crystal Falls. Both Aho and Black have no party affiliation.There are no primary candidates for District 5 commissioner on Tuesday’s ballot, although names may be placed on the November ballot through write-in votes.
Incumbents in two county-wide positions are running unopposed: Diane Hilberg of Crystal Falls for county clerk, and Ernest Schmidt of Iron River for county road commissioner. Both are Democrats.
Voters will have one county-wide millage renewal request to consider, for operation and improvement of the Batawagama youth camp. The proposal requests a one-half mill for four years, 2015 through 2018. The current millage expires this year.
Two township positions will appear on the ballot. All candidates are Democrats and running unopposed: Michael Mainville is running for Hematite Township constable, and Deborah Strelecki is running for Mansfield Township treasurer.
Voters will have six township millage renewal requests to consider:
– Bates Township: 2 mills for four years, 2014 through 2017, for township road improvements, repair and maintenance.
– Crystal Falls Township: 3.5 mills for four years, 2015 through 2018 inclusive, for general operational purposes.
– Mansfield Township: 2 mills for five years, 2015 through 2019 all inclusive, for upgrading blacktop and/or seal coating of roads.
– Mastodon Township: 1.5 mills for four years, 2014 through 2017 inclusive, for general operational purposes.
– Mastodon Township: 1.5 mills for four years, 2014 through 2017 inclusive, for township road improvements and maintenance, to be placed in the restricted Road Fund.
– Stambaugh Township: 2 mills for five years, 2015 through 2019 all inclusive, for maintenance and improvement of secondary roads.
Candidates for political party precinct delegates will be on the ballot as well:
– Republicans Alan Arcand and Erik N. Koenig for Iron River City Precinct 3 delegate.
– Republican Patricia Ashcroft for Crystal Falls Township Precinct 1 delegate.
– Republican Edward R. Chantiny for Crystal Falls Precinct 1.
– Democrat Bonnie Passamani for Caspian City Precinct 1 delegate.
Those who wish to seek a precinct delegate position with write-in votes were required to file a Declaration of Intent with the city or township clerk by 4 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 1.
Alternatively, such candidates may file the declaration with the appropriate precinct board on Aug. 5 any time prior to the close of the polls.
Write-in votes for a precinct delegate candidate who has not filed a Declaration of Intent do not count.
Evan Reid’s e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.