Near normal weather in June
IRON MOUNTAIN – Temperatures averaged slightly above normal at Iron Mountain-Kingsford in June as the mercury never dipped below 40 degrees, the National Weather Service said.
“June weather across Upper Michigan was dominated by a very changeable, active weather pattern,” said Kevin Crupi, weather service meteorologist in Marquette. There were periods of warm and chilly weather, but lows stayed well above freezing.
At Iron Mountain-Kingsford, the average temperature was 64.2 degrees, which was 0.6 degrees above normal. Rainfall measured 3.41 inches, which was 0.07 inches below normal.
The highest temperature was 87 degrees on both June 16 and 17 and the lowest was 40 degrees on June 14. No new daily or monthly records were established.
The long-range forecast calls for normal temperature and precipitation trends from July through October, Crupi said.
“Despite the active weather pattern and large swings in temperature, there was almost a near absence of severe thunderstorms across Upper Michigan in June,” Crupi said.
Most U.P. locations reported above normal June rain, with 5.63 inches falling at Negaunee, almost double the monthly normal. Newberry, on the other hand, had only 2.03 inches, less than 70 percent of the usual June precipitation.
“The only severe thunderstorms to impact the U.P. in June occurred in the evening on June 29, when there was some wind damage and/or large hail associated with scattered thunderstorms in Gogebic, Iron and Houghton counties,” Crupi said.
While 80 percent of California is now under “extreme” drought, the nearest drought area to the Upper Peninsula is the High Plains area of Nebraska and Kansas.
Statistics for the Iron Mountain-Kingsford Wastewater Treatment plant cooperative observer site are based on records that began in 1931. Normals used are for the period 1981 through 2010.
Some other temperature and precipitation observations across the U.P. in June:
– Ironwood, average temperature 62.2 degrees (0.9 degrees above normal), precipitation 5.52 inches (1.86 inches above normal).
– Copper Harbor, average temperature 56.5 degrees, precipitation 2.87 inches.
– Big Bay, average temperature 58.3 degrees, precipitation 2.08 inches.
– Marquette, average temperature 56.4 (3.5 degrees below normal), precipitation 2.88 inches (0.20 inches above normal).
– Munising, average temperature 57.9 (1.2 degrees below normal), precipitation 3.20 inches (0.16 inches below normal).
– Newberry, average temperature 61.4 (0.9 degrees above normal), precipitation 2.03 inches (0.95 inch below normal).
– Iron River, average temperature 61.5 degrees, precipitation 4.39 inches.
– Garden Corners, average temperature 62.0 degrees, precipitation 5.47 inches.
– Manistique, average temperature 57.8 (1.1 degrees below normal), precipitation 3.60 inches (0.65 inches above normal).
Jim Anderson’s email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.