Are you a volunteer looking for a project? Several agency or organizations are always seeking individuals willing to lend a hand. Interested persons can contact the following organizations.
– Spring Lake Animal Shelter, call 774-1005. Volunteers are needed to help with cleaning kennels and cat cages and also walking dogs.
– Salvation Army, 779-5717
– Big Brothers/Big Sisters, 774-2180
– Dickinson County Cancer Unit, 776-0966
– Habitat for Humanity can use your services in their Communications Committee. Volunteers are needed to work on news releases, newsletter articles, and ads. Contact the Habitat office at 779-5377.
– Marinette County Elderly Services, 1-800-990-4242
– Menominee Range Historical Foundation, 774-4276 or 774-1086.
– St. Vincent de Paul, Iron Mountain, 774-9637; Florence store, (715) 528-3068; Norway store, 563-7302; Iron River store, 265-6271; Crystal Falls store, 875-4251.
– Red Cross, (906) 774-2494
– Veterans Administration Medical Center, 774-3300
– Girl Scouts of Peninsula Waters, 774-3721.
– 4-H volunteers to help with programs call 774-0363.
– Caring House, need good shelter volunteers. Call 774-1337 ask for Mary.
– The Dickinson County Department of Human Services has a critical need for volunteer drivers to help people get to medical appointments. Reimbursement for mileage is provided. Please call Denise at 779-4132.
– The Medical Care Access Coalition, a non-profit organization that coordinates volunteer and donated medical services to uninsured residents of Dickinson and Iron Counties, are seeking volunteers to help with our enrollment process or for general office duties. Interested candidates can call Lori at 774-3980.
– Birthright of Iron Mountain, 774-1822. Volunteers needed in all areas, staffing, office work, fund-raising and public relations. Must be 100 percent pro-life. Training manuals and materials available, any outside expertise is welcome.
– Volunteer Services Program of the Dickinson Iron Community Services Agency – If people are looking for a place to help out, we are another source that they can contact to help them find a good fit for their skills and interests. Also, agencies and organizations who have a need can contact us for help in finding volunteers. Call DICSA’s Volunteer Services (for volunteer placement and/or requests), 774-2256 or 1-800-211-1696.
– Freeman Nursing and Rehabilitation is looking for volunteers to assist the activity department with decorating and assisting with bingo on Saturday afternoons. Interested persons can contact the activities director at 774-1530.
– Dickinson County Healthcare System. We are looking for:
Waiting room greeter: requires good communication skills, compassion and courtesy.
Physician clinic support: support for busy physician office.
Nursing services support: volunteer to restock linens and supplies in patient rooms. Must be able to reach overhead and enjoy working with people.
A greeter: must have excellent communication and customer service skills, able to use hospital phone and paging system, facilitate patients quickly through the lab station. First shift, 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., second shift, 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Emergency/after hours clinic greeter: mature, dependable volunteer needed to greet and appropriately direct and assist patients and visitors as they enter through the emergency entrance. Contact volunteer coordinator at (906) 776-5918.