BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Blaze damages barn in Norway

By EVAN REID

Staff Writer

NORWAY – Firefighters extinguished a blaze that damaged a barn on the former Pollard Dairy farm in Norway.

There were no injuries resulting from the fire.

The Norway Fire Department arrived on the scene shortly after 10 p.m. Wednesday. According to Assistant Fire Chief Pat Siegel, a large area in the front of the barn was destroyed, while the remainder of the structure survived in good condition.

All of the cows and pigs housed in the barn were able to escape the flames.

The fire may have been caused by a situation that arose on the farm last week, said Norway Fire Chief Dave Bal. A portion of the barn had collapsed from the weight of snow, pulling on and exposing electrical wiring.

The farm, located at W5483 Pine Creek Road, is owned by Chuck Parker of Parker Livestock.

Formerly owned by the Pollard family of Norway, the farm served as Pollard Dairy for years. Pollard Dairy was founded by Joseph Pollard in 1921.

The Norway Fire Department was assisted on the scene by the Breitung Township Fire Department, who provided water support, and North Alert EMS.

Evan Reid’s e-mail address is ereid@ironmountaindailynews.com.