BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

IM home total loss after fire

By NIKKI YOUNK

Staff Writer

IRON MOUNTAIN – Firefighters from the Iron Mountain Fire Department have released additional information about a structure fire that destroyed a residence at 513 West C Street on Friday.

After conducting their investigation, firefighters determined that the fire started in the basement stairwell near some electrical panels.

Emergency responders were alerted to the blaze at 2:17 a.m. Friday.

Firefighters said that a resident of the upper portion of the building was home at the time and reported the fire to 911. The resident was able to safely escape.

Residents of the lower portion of the building were not home at the time of the fire, firefighters added.

Firefighters rescued two cats, but one other cat perished.

The residence has been declared a total loss, said firefighters.

Nikki Younk’s e-mail address is nyounk@ironmountaindailynews.com.