Smoking caused IM fire
By NIKKI YOUNK
IRON MOUNTAIN – A state fire marshal has determined the cause of a fatal fire that occurred in Iron Mountain last month.
Acting Iron Mountain Fire Chief Charles Lauersdorf said that the marshal determined that careless smoking caused the fire.
Rita Nocerini, 73, died in the Nov. 14 fire at 309 West D Street.
Lauersdorf urged residents to observe the following smoking safety tips:
– Use only fire-safe cigarettes.
– Smoke outside, as most deaths result from fires that start in living rooms, family rooms, dens, or bedrooms.
– Keep cigarettes, lighters, matches, and other smoking materials out of the reach of children.
– Use a deep, sturdy ashtray and place it away from anything that can burn.
– Do not discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants, landscaping, peat moss, dried grass, leaves, or other things that could easily ignite.
– Make sure cigarette butts and ashes are completely extinguished before discarding. Dousing them in water or sand is the best way to extinguish them.
– Never smoke in a place where medical oxygen is being used. Medical oxygen can cause materials to ignite easily and cause fires to burn at a faster rate.
– Be alert while smoking. Don’t smoke if you are sleepy, have taken medication or drugs that cause drowsiness, or have consumed alcohol.
– Never smoke in bed.
Nikki Younk’s e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.