Museums Free Day on Sunday
By TERRI CASTELAZ
IRON MOUNTAIN – The Iron Mountain-Kingsford Kiwanis is hosting its 19th annual Museums Free Day on Sunday, Aug. 11, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The public is invited to tour all three museums during this time at no cost.
The Historical Museum, located at 300 E. Ludington St. in Iron Mountain, is currently featuring a special quilt display. These quilts and coverlets are from the museum’s collection dating back to 1860. Several displays have been updated and enhanced. There is also a new exhibit which features photographs and information on early sawmills in Dickinson County.
The Cornish Pumping and Mining Museum, located at 300 Kent St., added 28 new poster-sized period area mining photographs with detailed captions in the museum’s gift shop and pump room. These posters contain detailed mining history and have replaced enlarged photographs which were on display since the museum opened in 1983.
The World War II Glider/Military Museum, at 302 Kent St., behind the Cornish Pump, showcases a 20-foot by 40-foot garrison flag, originally owned by Steve Smith and donated to the American Legion Post 50.
The flag hangs from the museum’s ceiling. A scale model World War II PT boat, constructed and donated by Clyde Unger has also been added. A Breitung Township 1930 restored Model A fire truck will be on the museum grounds for viewing.
Friends of the Museum will be holding a rummage sale in the “Dry” building across from the Cornish Pumping Museum. They will also be selling pop, water and baked goods.
An invitation is being extended to anyone with a classic car to join the Just Cruizin’ Car Club in displaying their cars on the front lawn of the Cornish Pump.
“Join them for an afternoon of socializing and showing off your car,” said a spokesperson.
“This event would not be possible without a donation from the local Kiwanis Club. Please acknowledge a Kiwanian for making this annual open house possible,” she adds.
Terri Castelaz’s e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.