Two Ishpeming men charged in torture of two women

MARQUETTE – Two Ishpeming women are safe today after being rescued from the basement of an Ishpeming business, where police said they were held captive for hours, tortured and sexually assaulted in the early morning hours Tuesday.

According to Ishpeming City Police Department Chief Dan Willey, one woman was allegedly asked to kill the other by one of her alleged captors, 43-year-old Ishpeming resident Jason David Sadowski.

“It’s just a sick situation,” Willey said.

Sadowski was arraigned Wednesday afternoon in Marquette County District Court on several charges stemming from the events that allegedly took place in the basement of his business “The Martial Way” Tuesday morning.

Also arraigned was 65-year-old Charles Leroy Cope, who according to police lived in the business at 112 Cleveland Ave. in Ishpeming. Police said Sadowski lived there as well.

According to Willey, the two men are not related.

Willey said the two women, one 44 years old and the other 30, met Sadowski at a bar earlier that evening and agreed to go with him back to The Martial Way.

There, police said the women were duct taped to structural support posts in the basement of the business, sexually assaulted, tortured and held captive for more than four hours before one of the women was able to break free and call 911 for help.

Police responded to the call at 6:35 a.m. Tuesday.

“By the grace of God, everything worked out perfectly,” Willey said of the officers’ arrival on the scene. “They couldn’t see anything that was going on. When they walked around the front, one of the men happened to be leaving the building and they grabbed him and found the other guy and the two women in the basement.”

Willey said Sadowski was the man police arrested outside the building.

Sadowski has been charged with one count of solicitation of murder, a felony punishable by up to life in prison; two counts of torture, felonies punishable by up to life in prison; one count of first degree criminal sexual conduct, a felony punishable by up to life in prison; two counts of unlawful imprisonment, 15-year felonies; and two counts of assault by strangulation, 10-year felonies.

According to the Michigan Department of Corrections, Sadowski was convicted by a jury of second-degree criminal sexual conduct in 1988. He was released from prison April 22, 2009.

Cope is charged with two counts of torture and two counts of unlawful imprisonment.

Bond was denied for Sadowski and was set at $500,000 cash or surety per count for Cope.

Both men remained lodged in Marquette County Jail.

They will appear in court at 9:15 a.m. July 17 for a preliminary examination.

Police said the two women were treated and released at Bell Hospital.