Iron County approves timber harvest
By NIKKI YOUNK
CRYSTAL FALLS – Iron County is moving forward with plans for a timber cut on county property.
During their monthly meeting on Tuesday, members of the Iron County Board of Commissioners decided to hire Don Peterson of Renewable Resource Solutions in Crystal Falls as a forestry consultant/timber sale administrator.
County Administrator Sue Clisch said that the timber will be harvested from property on Oss Road in Crystal Falls Township sometime next spring. The county can expect to get approximately $4,000 to $5,000 from the cut, she added.
Commissioner Jim Brennan asked that the board require Peterson to advertise for loggers. Other commissioners did not have a problem with that.
In other business, the board:
– Discussed staggering employee lunch times at the courthouse. Currently, all county offices are closed between noon and 12:30 p.m. for lunch. Several commissioners felt that the taxpayers would be better served if the offices remained open throughout the lunch hour. Commissioners decided to table the issue until they can get input from the department heads.
– Approved to pay $3,655.75 to 906 Technologies for wireless internet service in the courthouse. Clisch said that the original quote was $6,600, but it went down after 906 Technologies determined that only three spots would be needed to cover the entire courthouse.
– Approved ballot language for the senior citizens millage renewal and the Iron County Medical Care Facility millage renewal. Both millage proposals will be on the August ballot.
– Accepted the 2013 equalization report.
– Appointed Robert Black to the Resource Conservation and Development Council.
– Re-appointed Claire Bilski to the jury board.
– Approved vacation and sick time payout for Crystal Bittner and Rolayne Jackson.
– Denied a request to increase the wages of Building Code Inspector C. Jerry Anderson. Commissioners pointed out that although Anderson recently received a certification, plenty of other county employees receive certifications without wage increases.
Nikki Younk’s e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.