TGIF — Weekend happenings
* The 75th Gold Medal Classic, featuring a new junior high boys division to the basketball tournament, will take place today through March 24 at the Hermansville Community Center gym. This year’s tournament will have competition in men’s Class A, B, C, D, EE, E and Rec divisions, along with women’s Class A and B. “The junior high division will correspond with our theme, ‘Past, Present and Future of Gold Medal,” said Ray Bray, tournament director in his 24th year. For more information contact Bray at 906-282-0451 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Public invited to attend “The Mormons Next Door” at 3 p.m. at the Dickinson County Library in Iron Mountain. This is a short program offered free and is an informative presentation of some of the believes and practices of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
* Sons of American Legion will be holding a St. Patrick’s Day bash at the American Legion Post 50 in Iron Mountain, with corned beef, cabbage and red potatoes, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Karaoke in the hall with Dee from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. The event is open to the public. Everyone is encouraged to wear their green. Presale tickets are available.
* Spring Craft Show from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Birchwood Mall in?Kingsford. Proceeds to benefit The Daily NewsNewspapers in Education.?Free admission.
* The Crystal Falls Contemporary Center, a nonprofit community center is hosting a St. Patrick’s Day Family Fund Day – Soup Luncheon from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The event will be held at the Crystal Falls Contemporary Center, 200 Superior Ave., downtown Crystal Falls. Cost is $5 for a bowl of homemade soup or $10 to keep the pottery bowl that it is served in. The public is welcome. There will also be activities for children.
* Alfred Branchini Post 17 of the American Legion in Iron River will be having a birthday dinner celebrating the 94th birthday of the American Legion. The dinner, which is for members of Post, Auxiliary and Sons of the Legion. Cocktail hour will be from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., with dinner being served at 6 p.m. There is no charge but are asked to phone the Post by calling 265-2013 as seating is limited.