Tree planting at museum

IRON MOUNTAIN – The Menominee Range Historical Foundation is participating with the Iron Mountain Tree Board’s project of offering trees to the general public at a cost of $100 each, including planting.

The Foundation’s plan is to enhance the grounds by planting trees around the perimeter of the World War II Glider & Military Museum, Cornish Pumping Engine & Mining Museum and, possibly, the Dry Building. These buildings are all located adjacent to the 300 block of Kent Street.

Trees are 2 inches in diameter and when full grown, range from 20 feet to 50 feet tall.

They include Hawthorn, Linden, Maple, Hackberry, Crab Apple and Service Berry, the last two being a spring flowering tree.

Because the Foundation operates on a limited budget, public help is needed with this project by purchasing a tree.

“Supplies are limited so please respond within the next two weeks,” said Kathie Fayas of the Menominee Range Historical Foundation.

For a $100 contribution, individuals will have free admission to all of the museums and receive a seven line plaque to be installed in the World War II Glider and Military Museum.

To participate, make a check out to Museum Tree Project, P.O. Box 237, Iron Mountain, Mi. 49801.

For more information, contact Fayas at 774-2827.

“Your support is appreciated,” she said.

The Iron Mountain Tree Board’s project is a boulevard tree planting program planned for this spring. It is being coordinated by the city of Iron Mountain.

“Trees growing throughout the city of Iron Mountain constitute a valuable community resource and provide both tangible and intangible benefits for diverse services, such as: pollution control, energy reduction, stormwater management, property values, wildlife habitat, education, and aesthetics,” said Downtown Development Authority/Main Street Manager Jonathan Ringel said.

The city tree planting program was initiated in response to the results of a comprehensive tree inventory conducted in 2011. The survey was conducted by the USDA Forest Service and showed the value of trees to the city of Iron Mountain exceeds $2.5 million.

According to the Iron Mountain Tree Board, some of the major findings in the survey included:

– Iron Mountain’s public tree inventory included 5,713 (100 percent) public trees, stumps and planting sites.

– The estimated appraised value for Iron Mountain’s inventoried tree population is $2,533,789.

– The inventory noted 2,787 tree plantings (48.79 percent) and 2,926 (51.21 percent) vacant sites.

In addition, the inventory information found that Iron Mountain has an urban forest dominated by Acer (maple).

Maple composes 1,331 trees or 49.04 percent of the total urban tree population. The remaining 50.96 percent of the city’s urban forest is composed mainly of Pinus (pine), 302 trees or 11.13 percent; Picea (spruce), 241 trees or 8.88 percent; and Malus (apple), 176 trees or 6.48 percent.